Sunday, February 28, 2016

Roasted Sausage and Vegetables

You know those people that when you walk into work and see them, you know it's gonna be a good day? It'll probably be crazy and you'll have 1-3 stat sections, 42.5 triages, and like 2 face presentations and you're gonna have to call Main Anesthesia 16 times and beg that guy to send someone for an epidural, but that person is there with you and you'll survive? (That was a lot of labor drama for you non-birth peeps, but it's equivalent to the stock market doing something wiggity-wack or your entire class of 5-year-olds eating live goldfish, trust me). Anyways, my dearest Crystal is one of those people for me. I'm thankful for her friendship and her awesome nurse skills, but I'm also super thankful she gave me the following recipe because it is DELICIOUS and the leftovers are quick to heat up in between trips to the OR. Believe dat.

This is paleo and gluten-free and depending on how cray your vegetable game is, can be so so so healthy and filling. Enjoy, babies.

Roasted Veggies and Sausage (adapted from Paleo Newbie)
(Serves 4-6, apparently. I could knock this bad boy out in 3 servings. #WhatIsSelfControl??)


Ingredients
  • 1 package (or about 1 lb) of your favorite pre-cooked sausage links – cut into 1-inch long sections (I use whatever is the "healthiest"...I go for organic and with the least amount of fillers...if I could make my own without being wildly grossed out, I would)
  • 2 potatoes (Sweet potatoes 4 life...or some fun red ones) cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 2 medium-size carrots, chopped into small rounds (Just an FYI, I DESPISE cooked carrots in every context except for this one)
  • 1 red pepper, cut into large slices
  • 1/2 red onion, peeled and cut into large slices
  • 3 cloves of minced or pressed garlic
  • 2 tbs of olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tbs of Italian seasoning
  • A healthy pinch of red pepper flakes
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Plus any additional seasonings you desire (go crazy)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees F
  2. In a large mixing bowl, add all sliced veggies, garlic and cut sausage links
  3. Next add olive oil and toss everything to coat
  4. Sprinkle in all seasonings and mix again to distribute
  5. Now grease or line with aluminum foil a large-rimmed baking sheet
  6. Spread out the veggies and sausage across the baking sheet
  7. Place uncovered in oven
  8. Bake a total of 35 to 45 minutes, turning veggies and sausage twice during cooking. (Oven temperatures and times will vary...I like my veggies borderline burnt, but you do you)
  9. Test doneness by checking the sweet potatoes – if they're soft, it's done (and if you can't stop eating them after that test bite, they are done and you are my soul twin)
  10. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment