Thursday, May 31, 2018

Can It Be Taco Tuesday Every Day?

I have always loved allllll the Latin foods and I think moving to Texas has only made the love stronger. My family feels the same way...except, my dad has boycotted "Taco Tuesdays" because my mom went on a TT spree last year and it was too much for good ol' Miguelito.

However, in our house, we are always down for fajitas/tacos/enchiladas/tamales/margaritas (especially margaritas). Despite all da cheese, a lot of these staples can easily be made healthy and still full of flavor. One of our favorite recipes is for chicken tinga tacos! I got this recipe from "Fixate" (a cooking show by my favorite trainer, Autumn Calabrese, and her brother, Bobby, who is a chef!). These tacos are easy to make and the flavor is out-of-control good. Let me know what you think if you make them!!


Chicken Tinga Tacos (From "Fixate")
Serves: 4 (3/4 cup meat mixture per serving)

Ingredients:

1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1 Tbsp. olive oil
¾ cup chopped onion (approx. 1 medium)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup all-natural tomato puree
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
2 bay leaves (I left these out because I'm lazy and we don't have any)
2 canned chipotle chili peppers in
adobo sauce, finely chopped  (THESE ARE MY FAVORITE!!!! I use more than they call for because I like spicy food!)
1 Tbsp. adobo sauce (sauce from the
canned chipotle chili peppers in
adobo sauce)
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. finely grated lime peel (lime zest)
3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (Save yourself the trouble and use rotisserie!)
¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas

Steps:

1. Sprinkle broth with gelatin in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat until fragrant.
3. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
5. Add broth mixture, tomato puree, chili powder, oregano, bay leaves, chipotle chili peppers, adobo sauce, lime juice, lime peel, chicken, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half.
6. Remove bay leaves. Divide ¾ cup chicken mixture between two tortillas for each serving.

Notes: Instead of tortillas, I just put my serving on top of salad mix and it was phenom. Also, this makes a great leftover lunch the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment