Friday, August 10, 2018

Monkey Mocha!


Image result for frothy monkey

One of my favorite things to do is try to make healthy-ish versions of my favorite foods from my favorite restaurants. I recreated my fave BBQ salmon from Capers (the restaurant that I spent a lot of time at in high school with my best friends and where I got engaged last year!) and it was so good! Lately, I've been missing my second hometown-Nashville-and wanted to recreate something from there.

Like most college students, I sold a small portion of my soul to local coffee shops in order to caffeine-power my way through studying and paper-writing. One of my go-to's was Frothy Monkey in 12 South. It was close to my house on Belmont Boulevard and just has the best vibe and really awesome food too. I used to see Keith Urban there a lot.

My favorite coffee there is the "Monkey Mocha" that is basically a mocha with banana syrup. It is so, so good and just thinking about it takes me back to that tragic semester I took Intro to Poetry, HIV/AIDS in a Global Context, History of the Holocaust, and Infant Psychology all at the same time (#heavy).  I don't have banana syrup and don't really do a lot of mocha anymore, but I did have a bunch of cafe latte protein powder laying around.....so, I got creative!

"Monkey Mocha" Shake (Inspired by Frothy Monkey)
-----Serves 1

1 scoop of protein powder (so, I use Shakeology Cafe Latte, but you could easily sub with your fave brand's chocolate flavor for more of mocha taste!)
8oz black coffee, cold (make a cup, stick it in the fridge before your workout..or nap...whatever)
1/2 banana, frozen or fresh
1 cup of crushed ice

Combine all ingredients in blender.  Blend. Enjoy.
Add as much ice as you want to make it thicker and more like a milkshake :) I also use frozen banana because I like to eat this with a spoon

Let me know if you try it! Better yet, let me know if you go to Nash and have the real thing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment