Monday, February 29, 2016

Taco Stuffed Potatoes

"You know I try, but I don't do too well with apologies...."

Okay, yes, that is a J Biebs lyric (relevant: can we all agree that we love him now? Like you can't even pretend you don't sing along) but it's because seriously, I'm wondering if it's too late to say sorry for not finding and making this beautiful meal before. TACO STUFFED POTATOES HAVE KINDA CHANGED MY LIFE AND MY FEELINGS AND MY COLD HEART NOW BEATS TO THE RHYTHM OF SWEET POTATOES SIZZLING IN THE OVEN.

Please make these. Convince someone you love to try sweet potatoes like this: stuffed with turkey, corn, (fat-free) refried beans, and cheese. The flavor and spices literally can't stop, won't stop. I'll take "thank you's" in the form of cases of La Croix in lemon or lime. Seriously, I'm running low and they are heavy.




Taco Stuffed Potatoes (from "The Seasoned Mom")

Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 4
  • 1 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef
  • 8 oz. (or about ¾ cup) non-fat refried beans
  • 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned will all work)
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I make my own so I know exactly what I'm eating, but throw what ya know)
  • 4 medium sweet potatoes (or you can substitute with russet potatoes or a combination of both if you are cooking for animals and they don't like sweet potatoes)
  • ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
  • Optional: sliced green onion for serving
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Scrub the outside of the potatoes until they are clean, and prick each potato with a fork a few times to allow steam to escape during cooking.
  3. Place sweet potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave 2 at a time for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until tender. Let cool for 5 minutes. (Or, use your super dope potato blanket for the microwave.. hehehehe)
  4. Meanwhile, brown onion and ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain and return to skillet. Add the taco seasoning, corn, and refried beans to the meat mixture and stir to combine (You're gonna need a bigger skillet than you think...trust me and the onions I'm finding all over my floor).
  5. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop the inside of the potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer of potato inside. Set aside the scoopies that you just scooped and use them for a separate meal (LIKE MASHED SWEET POTATOES OR PIEEEEEE)
  6. Spray the potato skins with cooking spray, place on the baking sheet, and bake for about 5-7 minutes (or until outsides are slightly crispy).
  7. Remove potato skins from the oven and stuff with meat mixture. Top with some salsa if you want and sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
  8. Turn oven to “broil.” Place the stuffed potatoes under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
  9. Garnish with green onions.
  10. Cry because you can't believe how filling and wonderful this is.

I ate one half of a potato with some green beans tonight (mostly because I'm sure I ate the other half of the intended serving size while I was scooping the mix into my mouth the potatoes). I'm full and happy and believe in love again.

These are that good. If you are feeling wild, I suppose you could leave out the turkey and add more beans. Or add black beans. Or use ground beef. Or add some avocado. LITERALLY ALL THE OPTIONS. 

Tex-Mex love,

S



No comments:

Post a Comment